Sunday 27 November 2011

All the small things....

In the derelict cottages at Tyneham nature has moved in.  Leaves blow and swirl in the breeze, entering through open doors, settling in unused corners.  Dry and representing all the colours of Autumn, I want some of my work to reflect this change so I began to stitch nature.  I don't want obvious pieces in all of the properties, some I would like the viewer to notice only as they take a closer look.  A reminder perhaps of how delicate life is.









Lichen on a twig collected from the wood at Tyneham



I have used free embroidery to recreate the lichen on my sewing machine and finished off sewing by hand




Using different materials


 Dried fern and machine embroidered sample


Free embroidered ivy leaf stitched onto hand made paper

Stitched onto ivy

 with burnt silk


 Leaves with copper foiling stitched onto hand made paper



 Silk smocked


Trapped leaves and lace in plastic wallet and melted with an iron


















No comments:

Post a Comment